Everything You Need to Know about the Summer Institute
The inaugural meeting of the Religious Worlds of New York summer institute was held from July 16 to August 3, 2012, on the campus of Union Theological Seminary, in the Manhattan neighborhood of Morningside Heights. We hope to offer the institute again in the future (ideally on an annual basis) so you can follow the links below to learn more about it, including:
- Selections from the overwhelmingly positive participant evaluations of the 2012 institute, along with photos of our summer scholars at work
- An overview of the institute's innovative curriculum, and discussion of the pedagogic and civic significance of teaching about religious diversity in American schools
- The daily schedule of the institute, including required readings, lectures and seminars, panel discussions, site visits, and assignments
- Basic biographical information about the institute's academic faculty and curriculum development mentors
- A look at the academic resources and facilities available to NEH summer scholars at Union Theological Seminary
- Information about on-campus housing options for summer scholars at Union Theological Seminary
- Details about the $2,700 stipend to help pay NEH summer scholars' travel and living expenses
- Details about the graduate and continuing education credits available to summer scholars who complete the institute
- A summary of the application process and selection criteria for the Religious Worlds institute
- The NEH's more detailed discussion of the application process for all summer seminars and institutes
Or alternatively, you can click here to download or print our full-length "Dear Colleague" letter (which contains most of the information above), then click here to download or print the NEH's detailed discussion of the application process.
And if you have any further questions about the Religious Worlds of New York summer institute, you can contact institute director Dr. Henry Goldschmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 212-870-3514.